Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Quick Update

Time is limited, but I wanted to get a quick post out with an update on the World of Weeks.

Lili had her 1 year check up last week and while the check up itself went well, the lab work after the appointment wasn't so great. Here are the details . . .

Lili was in the 5% in weight when we brought her home and her doctor wanted to see her put on some weight. If she didn't he said he would keep her on formula until she was 15-18 months old. Apparently we have a good eater on our hands because he is now in the 25% in weight. She was also in the 75% in height and is now in the 70%. Her head circumference was also in the 5% when she arrived home and is now the 10%. As a result, we are now moving her over to whole milk and off formula and her doctor was "thrilled" with her progress. Our next hurdle will be taking the bottle away from her, but I told the doctor that I wanted to wait just a little longer before we tackled that one. He agreed but said he would like to see her off the bottle by 15 months. That gives me 3 months to get her to use the sippy cup more often. So far she's not impressed withe the sippy cup, but she does enjoy taking drinks from a regular cup so I might just skip the sippy altogether. I did the same thing with the boys and it worked fine.

Now onto the labs. I told the doctor I wanted to have titers done before we proceeded with any shots. Again, he agreed and ordered the titers test along with some other tests recommended by our agency. For those who don't know what titers are, it's basically a blood test to make sure that she has immunities to the various diseases she received immunizations for in Guatemala. To have all these tests completed the lab needed 5 - 5 1/2 tubes of blood. So, after waiting for 1 1/2 hours to get the labs done (that is another story that I won't bore you with), Lili feel asleep. Of course this was the point that they finally came out to have her come back to get her blood drawn. She was so tired that she slept through them doing tons of stuff to her including putting her in the papoose. Then the needle went in the vein and all bets were off. She was not a happy camper at all and kept looking at me wondering why I wasn't picking her up so they would leave her alone. It was all I could do to fight back my own tears. Unfortunately, she has tiny fragile veins and after getting 1 1/2 tubes of blood the blood flow completely stopped. This meant they would have to try another vein. UGH!!! They took the papoose off and I immediately picked her up. She wanted out of that room, but did manage to calm down a bit while they gathered supplies to try the other arm. Round 2 was as bad as round 2 and they were only able to get another tube of blood before the flow stopped again. That was it for the day. They were not going to poke her again and I wasn't going to allow them to poke her again. This does mean that I have to take her back to get the rest of the blood drawn and I'm not looking forward to that trip at all, but we need to get it done to make sure that she is completely healthy and to determine if she needs to have any shots redone.

Lili has bounced back from her trauma at the lab and still gives me hugs and kisses, so all is well with the world.

2 comments:

Reba said...

What a traumatic day for both of you! I know Joshua's last appointment involved a heel prick and four shots. It was hard on both of us. :( Sounds like things are going well. I will tell you that Joshua had a hard time with sippy cups at first. We got him some straw cups made by Nuby (that won't just pour out) and he LOVES them. (He can use sippy now too) The sad thing is once he switched over to whole milk in the cup, he wouldn't touch a bottle again. I liked that night time bottle. (Now we do a night time cup :)
Reba

Kim said...

Needles are never fun! I put IV's in ALL day and I don't like doing it. That is the worst part of being a nurse, having to hurt people. Ughh! Glad to hear Liliana holds no grudges!