Friday, March 12, 2010

This Is It - Stay The Course


This is it. My last blog post before travel. Unless, of course, I get word that our fingerprint issue is resolved prior to departure, in which case I'll do a quick post letting everyone know.
This afternoon we will head up to Chicago and tomorrow morning at approximately 11:00 a.m. we'll board the first of two flights to Ethiopia. Our connection will depart from Washington D.C. at 8:30 p.m. tomorrow night so we have a couple long days ahead of us. It will be worth every hour and every mile traveling to our baby girl!
I'm sure many of you know that there are some changes looming over Ethiopian adoptions. While I haven't heard all of the details yet, it appears that families who do not have their referral with a scheduled court date prior to March 1, 2010, will be required to make two trips. This is not a new requirement for International Adoption. Eastern European countries, for example, have been requiring this for many years. However, there are so many families in process of their Ethiopian adoptions that had not planned on making two trips. Some are stressing over the financial aspects of making two trips. Others are stressing over visiting their children only to leave them behind for several weeks before going back to pick them up and bring them home. Yet others are stressing over both aspects. Some may be considering pulling out of the program all together. I want to encourage those who will find themselves in the position of two trips to stay the course. There are children who will one day become your children and they are counting on you to be there for them. You may not know them yet, but they will need you one day, so please don't give up. You will spend a lifetime fighting for your children in different ways and going through the rigorous path of adoption is just way that we fight for our children. Again, stay the course and one day you too will be telling everyone that you are just 'One' day away from travel to bring your child home forever. This truly is a small detail in the big picture of life and a wonderful life awaits those who are willing to stay the course.

9 comments:

Megan said...

I just got chills! Hang on Naomi! Momma's on her way! Safe travels, Weeks Family.

Matt and Jennifer said...

I'm sitting here at work with tears about to start pouring out of my eyes.Thanks for the encouraging words.You always know what to say to make everything seem okay.And you are right this is just a small bump in the road to and of parenthood.You guys are in my prayers.Give Naomi and kiss and hug for me.

JulieR said...

Debbie - I am so happy for you, Dave and Lili. Kayla, Marissa and I will be watching your blog for updates and pictures of the newest member of the Weeks family. Safe travels. We can't wait to meet Naomi.

Maria and Family said...

I am so happy for you !! Cant wait to see some pics :)

Kim said...

Happy and safe travels! I can't wait to hear about every single detail of your trip!

gigglechirp said...

So happy for you! Have a safe, beautiful trip! Love to you all!

karen said...

Safe and happy travels. Can't wait to see some pics of your newest addition!!

Parent Coordinator said...

Travel safe and be well! I look forward to hearing about your trip to Ethiopia. Can't wait to see pics of the whole family together!

Xander and Alana (but mostly Alana) said...

DEBBIE! Why are you not hooooome?!

Seriously, can't wait until you get back. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we are all looking forward to hearing about your trip and the new member of your family!

P.S. We passed.