Sunday, September 26, 2010

Are You Colorblind?

There was a time in my life that I thought being color blind was appropriate.  After all, why should the color of someone's skin matter that much?  The really important thing is what the person is like inside, right? 

As time went on I began to learn and as I learned I changed my way of thinking.  Why wouldn't I want to see the color of another person's skin?  The color of someone's skin is part of what makes that person who they are.  The unfortunate thing we still deal with in our society is the judgments that people make, solely based on skin color.  It's the racism that is still so alive and well in American culture that brings about so much more harm than good.

Are the changes I've made a result of becoming the mom of two little girls with brown skin?  Yes, the experience of becoming Lili and Naomi's mom has opened my eyes to many things.  How can I possibly raise my children to appreciate the differences in each of us if I'm not displaying that appreciation myself?  Adoption, especially international adoption, creates a lot of educational opportunities and that education creates the opportunity to make changes.  For me, those changes were necessary and right.  One of the biggest things I learned is that my ultimate desire was not just about setting a good example for my children, but it was about making a difference in this great big world.  I can make a difference by not being color blind and by setting a positive example for all of those I come into contact with. 

Because I'm still learning, changing and growing, I'm constantly on the look out for new books, articles, websites, etc.  Recently, I was introduced to an author by the name of Tim Wise.   Tim is an antiracist activist and has written four books on racism and white privilege.  I have not yet had the privilege of reading any of Tim's books, but plan to do so very soon.  What I have been doing is reading information on his website and watching some of his interviews via Facebook and it's lit a new fire in me.  I don't want to live in a color blind world and I hope you don't either.

2 comments:

Lisa T said...

I have read some of his articles and LOVE him!! I would love to read some of his books also.

Rachele said...

My sister and I have discussed this also-my "changing" and becoming color blind...it doesn't matter that having a child of color is what made you "change" (improve!) just that you did... I also believe that, as white Americans, we will never truly be able to feel as our daughters do, be compassionate,yes but in reality not truly able to put ourselves in their shoes...hope this makes sense; I'm having a hard time with words this morning!