Saturday, September 8, 2007

Lili Continues to Grow and Lexie's Injury

We received our monthly medical report on Lili in the mail this morning and here are the stats.

Weight - 12.12 lbs
Length - 25 inches

She only gained a few ozs from last month, but seems to have grown 1 1/2 inches. Based on her weight I need to be buying her 3-6 month clothes, but based on her length, she is close to needing 6-9 month clothes. What is a mom to do?

Sorry I don't have updated photos to send along, but as soon as I receive them, I'll share.

Now that I've shared our good news about Lili, it's time to move on to the bad news about Lexie.

First of all, for those who have never met Lexie you have to understand that she is just like the little cartoon dog, Chester the terrier, who followed Spike the bulldog around. She is always moving twice the speed of Jada and is a jumper and when I say jumper I mean she can jump at least three feet off the floor and she's only about 17 inches tall. So, last week we noticed that she was pulling her rear right leg up and trying to avoid walking around on it. Although we are 99.9% sure she injured it while out running with Jada, we don't know exactly how the injury occured, but it is obvious that her leg is injured. We kept her down for several days and every day she would seem to be doing better and obviously her leg was feeling better because she would try to move around more. However, just about the time I thought she was on the mend she would end up slipping or move too quickly and up would come the leg and she would be back to sitting or laying down again. I took her to the vet this morning hoping to hear that she had a pulled muscle and we would head home with something to help her leg. We weren't quite that lucky. It appears that she most likely has a torn ligament in the knee and will be back to the vet on Tuesday for a full examine of the knee and hips under sedation. If, they find it's a small tear we will have to keep her down and/or crated for 6-8 weeks while it heals. However, if it's more severe it will require surgery. UGH! Fortunately, when we got our dogs I took out pet insurance policies on both of them. Boy am I happy that we have insurance!!!! But, I'm very sad that our little Lexie has to go through this. She really is a tropper though.

I'll keep everyone posted on the results of her tests Tuesday.

No comments: