Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Always Something New

When starting out on our adoption journey, I did tons of research in an effort to try and choose the best agency. Not only was I looking for an agency with a good reputation, but an agency that would be a good match for us. Agencies certainly are not 'one size fits all.' While we had some complaints about the agency we used for Lili's adoption, overall we were pleased. I did my research again this time around and we chose a different agency from the one we had used the first time. We submitted our application, but a couple month later changed our minds and decided to go with an agency that we felt much more comfortable using. So far we've been very pleased with our decision on many levels.

Each adoption experience is different, regardless if you're adopting from the same country or not. One difference for us this time around, is that Naomi will be coming from an orphanage setting. Lili came to us from a foster home. I have heard from other families who have travelled to pick up their children and they confirmed that the babies and children are well cared for and get a lot of attention from the nannies, other employees of the orphanage and of course travelling families.

The orphanage our daughter will come from is Le Toukoul. I will link a video of Le Toukoul on the right hand side of my blog page for anyone who is interested in taking a look at the orphanage. Le Toukoul was started by two people from France and while I knew there were some ongoing projects, I found out today just how much work they are doing for the children in Ethiopia and once again have gotten confirmation that we made the right choice in switching agencies. Don't get me wrong, other agencies are doing good things in Ethiopia as well. I'm just very pleased with the work being done at Le Toukoul.

For those who are interested, our agency is Tree of Life out of Portland, OR. They are a partner agency of Adoption Avenues, also out of Portland.

Please take a look at this website for information on Le Toukoul and the work that is being done there. http://www.sosenfantsethiopie.com/English/sosenfantsethiopie.html

3 comments:

Special Delivery said...

Great post and great orphanage! It is always nice to receive little bits confirmation in our decision-making along the way. I love the work that they are doing!

Sam's mom said...

Yeah Debbie!!
Now hopefully it will only be "weeks" until you united with that precious little one!

Amber said...

I love links! Well done!