Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

Dave and I did not exchange cards or gifts this year, instead we agreed that our gift to each other would be the purchase of our airline tickets to Ethiopia. Other than actually being with Naomi on Valentine's Day, it would be difficult to find a gift that would compare. Knowing that we have our tickets purchased and one month from today we'll be landing in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia preparing to meet our daughter brings about a lot of feelings and emotion.

Anxiousness - I want the month to move along quickly so we can get to Ethiopia.
Overwhelmed - There is still a lot to get done before we leave.
Excitement - We're only 1 month away from having two little girls.
Curiosity - What is Naomi's personality like? What are her likes and dislikes? How is Lili going to react to the reality of a little sister?
Thrill - We're going to be parents again!! We're going to Africa!

Okay, I'll admit that I also feel a bit of sadness. Originally we were told that our Embassy appointment would be February 22nd and our plans were to leave February 14th which means we would have actually been traveling today. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you hope or plan, but we can't focus on the what ifs so instead we look forward to next month and finally bringing our baby girl home.

The biggest of all the emotions and feelings is 'Love.' There is a baby girl in an orphanage in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia who I've never met. I've never touched her; I've never heard her coo or cry; I've never given her a bottle or fed her; I've never bathed her, changed her clothes or diaper; I've only seen her in pictures and read a few small details about her life. There are so many things I've not yet experienced with her, so many things I don't know and yet I love her deeply. I love her with a love that only a mother can feel. On the outside it seems so illogical, but on the inside it is very, very real. That is what Valentine's Day is really about. It's feeling and showing love to those closest to us. I can't show Naomi how much I love her today, but I feel it strongly and I hope that in some small way that love is making it's way across thousands of miles and it's touching her life in some magical way.

For my family here at home we'll spend the day together. Lili and I will make brownies together, because we can't have a Valentine's Day without some chocolate. Hopefully it will be a quiet and relaxed day or at least as relaxed a day as you can get with a 2 1/2 year old in the house. We'll just enjoy the chocolate and the love!!!!

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

2 comments:

Parent Coordinator said...

Lovely post!

karen said...

Happy Valentines Day Lili! From your pseudo sister....emma