Monday, October 22, 2007

The Thrill of Living in a Rural Area

This post will have absolutely nothing to do with adoption or Lili or any of my family members at all. Instead I'm going to talk about a little incident that happened this past Thursday night.

While driving home on a Central Illinois country road, I came over a small hill and there in the middle of my lane was a skunk. I had two choices to make:

1) Try to avoid the skunk, which would have most certainly caused me to wreck my van.
2) Hit the skunk, which would most certainly cause a terrible stinch in my van.

I chose #2, but may have opted for #1 if my insurance deductible wasn't $500.

Wow! Will the smell ever go away? I kept my van windows open all weekend to air it out, but the smell is still there. It's just this constant reminder of how I took the life of an innocent creature, just minding his/her own business on a Thursday night.

The sad thing is that this isn't the first skunk I've ever hit. Several years ago a skunk ran from the tall grass into my lane and under my front tire. What's even more ironic is that my sister and I had just been talking about how terrible it is to hit animals and I had said that hitting a skunk is the worst. I will never again have that discussion with anyone!

If someone out there has suggestions on how I can get rid of the smell, please let me know. And to Mr/Ms Skunk, sorry!

No comments: