Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Have You Ever Had One of Those Days?

Mine hit today, big time!

As some of you know, our oldest son, Ryan, has Autism. Ryan is 27 years old and lives in a residential home about 20 miles away. In addition to Autism, he also has a seizure disorder which rears it's ugly head from time to time. Well, it's been rearing it's ugly head since Friday and needless-to-say this is only part of the story. Monday night, Dave and I drove to his house to pick him up and bring him home. We were getting reports of his seizures from the staff at his house, but it's sometimes difficult to figure out exactly what's going on. Therefore, I decided it would be best to have him here where I could monitor him. He had some good improvement in his seizure activity after we brought him here, so after an appointment with his neurologist this morning, I took him back to his house. By 2:15 this afternoon I was again getting reports of more seizure activity, so after the 2nd call I once again decided he needed to be here where I could again monitor what was happening. Although he has had some seizure activity since being home, he is doing okay and at least now I can really see what's going on to better determine what we need to do.

Of course Ryan's seizures are only part of the story today.

After my call to PGN last Friday, I had decided I was going to take a break from calling them and if I didn't hear anything from our agency by end of business today I would call Thursday or Friday. Well, a good friend of mine (you know who you are) couldn't stand the wait and decided she needed to call on my behalf. About 20 minutes before I had to leave for Ryan's appointment with the neurologist, my friend calls to tell me she was able to get through to PGN and we have a previo. Yes, our case has been kicked out of PGN after 8 weeks. For those who may not know, it has been taking PGN about 8 weeks to approve cases after submit or resubmit. Therefore, we were at the very end of that 8 weeks processing time and now we've found out that we're kicked out. As of 2:30 this afternoon, our agency still had not confirmed anything with our attorney, so we have no idea what the problem is or what needs to be done to correct the problem. Hopefully, it will be an easy fix and we'll be resubmitted to PGN within a couple days, but this of course means we begin the 8 week process all over again once we're resubmitted.

So, this has been a highly emotional day for me and I hope to have much better news to report in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, I just have to remember that tomorrow is another day and this too shall pass. Let's just hope that tomorrow is not worse than today and that all of this bad stuff passes quickly.

6 comments:

Cammie said...

Debbie, I am SO sorry! I hope everything with Ryan is better soon, and that whatever got you that stinkin' previo is resolved quickly. We're thinking about you guys.

Cammie

Amy said...

Debbie...I am sooooo sorry for you difficult time right now. I am praying that your son's seizure problems get under control again. And, I will be praying that your previo is a a quick fix and you are resubmitted to PGN very soon. Hold your head up, girl. I know it is hard, but you WILL get through this.

kim said...

Sorry Debbie to hear of your previo and Ryan's seizures.

If its any solace to you, I believe the WHFC Guate staff has all been in Guatemala this week and most of last. While we haven't heard much from them this week, hopefully because they have been working hard on the in process cases.

best wishes for a speedy approval!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Debbie and Dave - My prayers for your family are that Ryan's seizures are brought under control again and that whatever caused the previo is taken care of soon. Debbie, you have come this far and you will go all the way. You have a quiet strength that will pull you through this and anything else that comes your way. Love and hugs, Bonne

Reba said...

Debbie, I am so sorry for the whole day. :( I hope that the seizure problems get resolved. And I am so sorry about the previo too. :( I am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
I know your discouraged about your kick out,but stay encouraged you are much farther along today than you were 6 mts ago.
Happy endings do come,I am Mazzi's grandmother,your little girl will home before you know it.
Deb R.