Sunday, December 23, 2007

Reflection During This Holiday Season

It is pretty easy for me to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the Holiday Season. I had my shopping list, checked it twice, went out shopping several times, and had Santa's workshop set up and running smoothly so the gifts could be wrapped as purchased instead of all at once on Christmas Eve. Then a few days ago, while wrapping the last of the gifts I had purchased, I began to reflect on the different things that have been happening in our lives over the last year. There have been some really good things and some not so good things that have occurred, but I suddenly found myself stuck on the "not so good things" that have happened over this past year. As I sat there feeling sorry for myself I had, as Oprah would call it, an "ah ha" moment and came to the realization that no matter how bad things may seem, I have it pretty good. I married a wonderful man, who happens to also be my best friend and we're going to one day be bringing home a beautiful baby girl, our first daughter. We have 3 boys, that we love very much, a roof over our head, food on the table, and clothes on our backs.

So, as I sat there wrapping gifts for everyone and looking at all the gifts I had already wrapped, it made me happy just knowing that we’re able to have a wonderful Christmas year after year. At the same time I also felt sad that many children and families won't have the same experience this Christmas. The sadness I felt wasn't so much about the gifts under the tree, but it was knowing that many won't experience that feeling of belonging to a family and spending time with that family. There are children sitting in orphanages and foster homes wondering if they'll ever have the family that they can only seem to dream about. Others will wonder if they will have anything to eat that day. It was another moment in my life that made me appreciate everything we have and another moment that made me realize how very much I want to provide love, family and a home full of not only wonderful Christmas memories, but those simple everyday memories to other children.

I hope each of you will take just a minute to reflect on the good things in your life, while remembering those in the world who are less fortunate.

Have a very Merry Christmas and may you make wonderful Holiday memories this year!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for making me cry Debbie!!! that was beautiful and so true - we do have so much to be grateful for. I always think i would be nothing without my family - i'm so fortunate to have them, for i never feel alone - it's not about the presents and money - it's about family and belonging and love!! I will call you later - i just got home.

Reba said...

Beautiful post, Debbie. I look forward to the day that you are posting about your newest gift from above...it won't be long.