Monday, January 28, 2008

PGN Info

Prior to receiving our previo from PGN last month I had been regularly calling PGN for updates. However, since the 1st of the year it's become almost impossible to get through to PGN. So, while I know many of you are really wanting to know what's going on, I have no information because I can't get through to get the information. Therefore, extreme patience is now required and I will probably have to wait to hear word from our agency. Sorry, but there's little I can do about it.

With that said, I did have a comment on my blog about PGN and wanted to answer that question.

PGN stands for Procuradoria General de la Nacion. Procuradoria is a Spanish term that is used in Central America. The PGN in Guatemala is made up of lawyers, judges, counselors and administrators as a combination of the US Immigration Service and elements of the Justice Department. The Procurador is the person who manage and administers laws on behalf of people adopting through the PGN in Guatemala. It has been described as being similar to the Attorney General's office here in the U.S.

An adoption case entering PGN is a very important step in the process. Approval from PGN is recognition from the Guatemalan government that the adoptive family is now recognized as the child's new family. Typically, within a few days after PGN approves the case, the birth mother signs off for the last time and the child is then legally the child of the adoptive parents. Although it would be nice if this was actually the end, it's not. The case is then submitted to the civil registry office in the the child's city of birth and that civil registry office issues a new birth certificate listing the adoptive parents as the parents of the child. The attorney then gets the child's passport and submits everything to the U.S. Embassy where the 2nd DNA test will be ordered and then the Embassy appointment scheduled.

I will continue to keep everyone updated as I get updates.

2 comments:

grammy said...

Thank you for the information. It was well written and easy to now understand all that you must be going through. God Bless and keep the Faith.

Kim said...

You explained that so well Debbie! I have only gotten through twice to PGN. One day I literally tried all day and got hung up on more than several times. The next day I called, no problems. Keep being persistant! I want to hear of your OUT soon!