Thursday, April 3, 2008

Update

One week ago today, we left Guatemala with Lili in my lap. It's hard to believe at times that she hasn't always been here. However, early this morning was not one of those times. About 4 a.m. she showed her first real signs of grieving her foster family. It was heart breaking, yet a necessary step in her adjustment to her new home. She wanted me to hold her and at the same time she didn't want me to hold her. It was very obvious that she was looking for her foster mother and yet she wasn't here. After about 45 minutes she finally calmed down and a few minutes later she fell asleep. She's been happy most of the day today, but she did have some trouble settling down for her morning nap. I'm sure she feels an uncertainty about who is going to be here when she wakes up so it's very, very important that I'm here for her at all times. Eventually she'll realize I'm not going anywhere, but it's going to take some time.
I wanted to share some pictures of Lili with her brothers. They are pretty stoked about her being here finally, which you'll be able to tell from these pictures.

Lili with her big brother Ben. Ben was the baby of the family for 19 years and now he's been replaced. Doesn't look like he's bothered by it too much.

Lili and Josh. Josh took awhile to warm up to the idea of having a little sister. Actually, it was more warming up to the idea of us starting all over again. He seems okay with it now.

Lili and Ryan. Since Ryan has Autism and functions on the lower end of the spectrum, he was having trouble understanding what we were doing. He had pictures of Lili in his room at his home, but didn't quite get that she was his little sister. We knew he would start catching on once she got home and I think these pictures accurately show how he feels about her.

6 comments:

Parent Coordinator said...

The pictures are precious. I love it when big brothers melt over their little sisters. It breaks my heart that she needs to go through the grieving process but I am happy that she is seeking comfort from you. Congratulations on a beautiful family. By the way, I get to go visit at the end of the month - I am so excited!!!!

Anonymous said...

hi debbie, those pictures are AWESOME of the boys with their new sister.

Kim said...

Those pictures are beautiful Debbie. Thanks for sharing.

nora said...

Debbie, Thos pics are JUST precious. I love the looks on all three of your boys' faces! Priceless! And you can show those pictures to any future boyfriends so they know what kind of bodygaurds she'll have! :)

So glad you are home. So glad Lili is adjusting and that you are enjoying every minute!

Reba said...

I love the pictures! How sweet! She is so fortunate to have three big brothers who love her and protect her. :) The grieving does get better...it takes time though.

Gail said...

The pictures of Lili and her brothers are so sweet. She is blessed to have three big brothers.
Gail