Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Why Private?

There are many good reasons for going private on my blog.

- I've heard stories from families who have had pictures of their children pulled from their blogs and used for other things. I just don't know who might come across my blog one day and decide to start stealing pictures or information.

- There has been discussion about the Ethiopian authorities concern over information posted on blogs about Ethiopia and the children in Ethiopia. I don't want to post something that I consider to be informative and have someone in Ethiopia read it and become offended.

- I use my blog to communicate information about our adoption and have recently communicated information about fundraising. There have been reports that the Ethiopian authorities have read this type of information on other family's blogs and as a result have denied their adoptions. That's not something I want to risk doing.

The fact is, a public blog is just that, public. Anyone with access to the Internet has had the ability to access my blog. Since I have considered going private many times over the last 1-2 years, I decided it was time to make the change. There is just too much at risk not too.

3 comments:

Reba said...

I was hoping for an invite...I would miss keeping up with you! I understand why you are doing it though. I teeter totter on the issue. How is Ryan doing?

Kelly1216 said...

I'm glad to be added to your site. I miss you so much, or is it the shopping I miss so much? : )
We had to lower our asking price on our house so low that we aren't going to be able to pay our adoption money back with the house. : ( We weren't expecting to be in this situation either. I can think of worse things to be in because of the recession than this. I love your coffee idea, I will be going soon.

~Emily said...

Some very good points. When we were in the process for Guate, I was always careful about what I wrote and how it might be perceived by the Guate government. I heard that they actually peeked in on blogs.