Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Updates Still Coming

I found out that Lili's 2nd DNA test was scheduled for 8:00 a.m. this morning, so everything should be done and the specimen soon on it's way to Lab Corp here in the U.S.

For those not familiar with this part of the process, I'll provide a quick explanation. About a month after we received Lili's referral, she was taken to a U.S. Embassy approved doctor for the initial DNA test. This test required that her birth mother also be present so they could be tested at the same time. Those specimens were sent to a lab here in the U.S. called Lab Corp. They conducted the test and it came back with a positive match, meaning that the woman who was placing her for adoption was her biological mother. About 7 months ago, the U.S. put another safe guard in place and started requiring that a 2nd DNA test be conducted to make sure that no babies were being switched with other babies during the adoption process. The 2nd DNA test is only done on the child then matched with the original test results. Those results are sent to the U.S. Embassy and as long as the match is positive, the Embassy makes an appointment for the adoptive family to come to the Embassy with their child and complete the final paperwork for U.S. approval. This appointment is listed on a pink sheet of paper and the confirmation emailed to the adoptive parents. It is referred to as ePink and this is now what we are waiting for. I predict we will receive our ePink by the end of next week with our Embassy appointment scheduled sometime the last week of March. Again, this is only a prediction and I'm basing this on the current timelines posted on the forums. Please feel free to post your predictions in the comments section.

Because I like having connections that allows me to stay on top of our process, I have a contact at Lab Corp that will keep me informed. She will let me know when the specimen arrives, when the results are in, and when it's shipped back to the Embassy. By-the-way, this is not my own "personal" contact person, this woman has posted her name and email information on Guatadopt and invited families to contact her for information. I'm just accepting the invitiation :-)

So, stay tuned as I should have updates over the next week.

10 comments:

beanhead said...

WooHoo. I love it that things are moving along for all.
Irene
Cammie's friend

Gail said...

I heard from that contact this morning. She will let me know when mine gets there too.
Gail

Anonymous said...

It really sounds like things are moving quickly for you. I am so happy. How can I visit your Amazon list? I am just curious about all the things I might need. I hate to jinx myself by getting too prepared though. ~Emily

Parent Coordinator said...

Debbie,
I am so happy for you!!! YAY! I do hope that you get pink next week. I'll stalk your blog for updates :)

Cammie said...

I'm so happy things have moved right along for you! Looking forward to hearing your pink news next week!

Cammie

Kim said...

I hope you hear from Pat soon! She is such a lifesaver! I contacted her so many times with our first DNA and she was always such a sweetheart! I predict you will have PINK on March 7th and Embassy appt on March 26th!

Reba said...

How exciting! Just think, pink is just days away, then your precious daughter will be in your arms forever! I cannot wait!

Anonymous said...

Debbie this is wonderful news!!!!! i'm so happy for you guys. i have been sick now the past couple of days - BLAH!!!!! hope to talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

It seems like, after such a long wait, events are really flying quickly now. Yippee! I'm so excited for you and Dave. Congrats!! Keep the updates comin'.

nora said...

Wonderful Debbie!