Monday, November 30, 2009

25 Shopping Days Til Christmas

And still no presents purchased. That will change today one way or another. I'm not sure why, but making that first purchase always makes me feel better :-)

I haven't done an update on Ryan recently but we did go visit him yesterday, so this would be a great time for an update.

While I wish I could gush over how much better he's doing, I really can't. Dave and I were disappointed to see that even off the Dilantin, his balance is still really bad. At least it was yesterday. He needed assistance walking and we even put him in a wheelchair to get through shopping. We had hoped that he could keep his balance by pushing the cart, but he would just lean to one side and begin to pull the cart that way. Honestly, he is on so many medications right now, it's hard to tell what is causing this problem. Since he hasn't had any seizures in almost a month now, they seem to be doing their job in that department, but the balance thing is still very concerning.

On a bright note though, he was very obviously happy to be with us yesterday. The last time we saw him was in the hospital and it was great to take him out for a bite to eat. We took him to a restaurant for some queso and chips. The staff at his home said he hasn't been eating well, but he made up for it yesterday.

No news on the adoption front. This Wednesday will mark 3 weeks since referral and we are hoping to get word on our court date soon. I would love to hear something this week, but I'm not holding my breath. What I will be doing over the next couple of days is putting together a gift bag and mailing it to a family who is traveling to Ethiopia next week. They have graciously offered to deliver it for us and I'm so excited about sending some thing to our precious baby girl.

4 comments:

nora said...

Debbie, I always read the updates on Ryan with interest. You write so well about what's going well for him and what the next steps are. I'm eager to hear of your court date. Lots of thoughts to you!

Shannon said...

I hope you hear something soon about your court date.

Reba said...

I had been wondering about Ryan. Glad you got some food in him. I hope that his balance situation evens out (and the seizures stay away). I cannot wait for your court date...I am SOOOO ready for little Miss Naomi to be home. I want to see pictures. :)

Mel said...

It has been 3 weeks? You should hear something very soon!!!
Glad to hear Ryan is doing somewhat better.
And I'm with Reba - can't wait to see pics of little Naomi :-)
Blessings,
mel