Sunday, December 6, 2009

So Much to Discuss, So Little Time

Some have recently asked about our fundraising efforts so I thought I'd share a little about the ups and downs of fundraising.

In the beginning, the raffle looked like it was going to be a huge success. We sold enough raffle tickets to cover the cost of the Xbox within the first couple of weeks and managed to sell a few more raffle tickets to help with our remaining adoption expenses, but not enough to pay for even one airline ticket. The drawing for the Xbox is this Friday, December 11th so there is still time and we're happy to have raised some money since every little bit helps.

The coffee fundraiser has been less successful than the raffle. There is a part of me that has been disappointed, but again every little bit helps.

I will admit that I'm not a coffee drinker, so I can't give my personal opinion on the coffee. However, my hubby is a coffee drinker and loves the African Skies and Guatemalan coffees. He has tried 4 of the coffees to date and I've asked him to write a review to post on my blog, but have yet to receive that review. Hint, hint. What I can tell you is that even after our coffee fundraiser is done, we will continue to purchase coffee from Just Love Coffee Roasters. Not only do we want to help other adoptive families in their fundraising efforts, but Mr. Weeks really likes the coffee.

If anyone else has tried to the coffee, please leave your review in the comments.

Naomi's adoption has been a very humbling experience for us. Like many families, we have had times where finances have been a real struggle. For the last few years though, we've been in a financial position that has allowed us to not only pay for our Lili's adoption expenses, but to also help friends and family members during some of their difficult times. We've even been able to donate to other adoptive families fundraising efforts and I can tell you that we much prefer being on the giving end. Instead we are in the position of having to ask others to help us and that is not a comfortable place for us to be. The one thing that we do know is that once Naomi is home and the expenses of adoption are behind us, we will be on the giving end again and can "pay it forward."

With that said, we are humbling asking 100 people to assist us by contributing $35 to help our family cover some of our remaining adoption expenses, primarily travel. This is our 100 for $35 fundraiser. I have added a Pay Pal donate button back to my blog for those who would like to contribute to our 100 for $35 fund.

Onto another subject now - Christmas.

My blog friend Nora recently did a blog post about a Christmas tradition she and her husband created for their 3 beautiful girls. I realized that while we have a Christmas routine, I'm not sure it is anything that would be considered a family tradition. So, I discussed this with my DH and being the creative man that he is, he quickly came up with a tradition idea that I really like. It's called FAMILY!

Future - A gift that cannot really be used immediately. For example – summer toys, savings bonds, tickets to a future event, etc. The purpose is to instill both a sense of wonder and expectation about the future, and to teach patience.

Artistic - A gift that enables or is based upon the arts. For example - Easel, paints, CDs, movies, tickets to a play, cooking class, etc. The purpose is to encourage a lifelong appreciation for both artistic consumption and creation.

Many - A gift that can only be appreciated if shared. For example, a multi-player game, a trip for two, two tickets to something, etc. The purpose is to encourage a sense of community and joy in others.

Impractical - A gift that this person would not buy for themselves. I don't think this needs further explanation.

Learning - A gift that teaches. For example, books, educational toys, documentary DVDs, trips to a museum, etc. The purpose is to encourage lifelong learning.

You - A gift that is special to you, for you and not for sharing. For example, jewelry, diary, clothes, etc. To encourage a sense of self, pride and individuality.

Although Dave is having second thoughts about incorporating this as our family tradition due to gifts crossing over into more than one of the FAMILY categories, I am liking it more and more. Yes, I could give Dave tickets to attend a future play that would fall under future and artistic, but as the giver I can decide the category in which I want to give that gift and that can be explained via the gift card or a little note included with the gift. Even the gift card or note is a keepsake in my mind.

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions?

3 comments:

Reba said...

I love the FAMILY idea. That is a neat way of considering gifts for others. I cannot wait to see what you all think of! We have several traditions (like baking/decorating sugar cookies for Santa, reading the Bible version of Jesus' birth on Christmas Eve, the Christmas book tradition) but we continue to add each year as we gather ideas from others.

Xander and Alana (but mostly Alana) said...

For what it's worth, our fundraiser last year didn't raise enough to cover a plane ticket, either. And that was BEFORE the financial sh** hit the proverbial fan. And this year I don't think we've even broken even. So even though it probably doesn't help, you should pat yourself on the back for managing to raise anything.

Debbie said...

Thanks Alana! I am very happy that we've managed to raise any money at all and so grateful to everyone who has donated, purchased raffle tickets and/or bought coffee. It does help and has touched us deeply.