Thursday, November 8, 2007

Where's My Mind These Days?

When I was pregnant with our youngest, Ben, I remember a co-worker accusing me of having "fetal brain drain syndrome." It seemed that the further along I got in my pregnancy, the more forgetful I became. I don't remember having the same problem with the other two pregnancies, but maybe it was so bad I just can't remember :-) LOL

I assumed my forgetfulness was hormonal, but now I realize it wasn't hormonal at all since the further along we've gotten in our adoption, the more forgetful I've become. I have a couple recent examples.

I began cooking when I was probably 7 or 8 years old and can follow a recipe without problem. Not now. Even looking at the recipe, I still manage to forget ingredients. A couple weeks ago I was making dumplings and forgot the baking soda. I didn't realize I had forgotten the baking soda until I took the lid off the pan and saw dough balls. Last night I made corn bread and when I pulled it out of the oven it was flat. As I looked at the recipe I realize I forgot the baking powder.

Don't worry though, I'm not just forgetful when it comes to cooking, I've probably walked upstairs 5 times in the last couple of weeks to get something or do something and by the time I get up the stairs, I've completely forgotten why I'm there.

Last night Dave mentioned something about this being a lot like it was when I was pregnant and I suddenly realized that it is absolutely no different. How scary is that?!!!

Thanksgiving is quickly approaching and we host Dave's family for Thanksgiving every year. I spend a couple days baking pies, cheesecake, and other desserts, then Thanksgiving morning I bake the turkey and make all the side dishes. Suddenly, I feel a bit concerned and wonder if I should hire an assistant just to make sure I haven't left anything out of the recipe.

For those family members that read my blog, I'm sorry for scaring you and hope that you'll still be here on Thanksgiving. I have reservations made just in case. Now, if I could just remember which restaurant it was?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

debbie, you are a hoot!!! i wish i could have some of your cheesecake - even if you left out an ingredient!! unfortunately this process is making us all a little loopy these days!!! Talk to you soon - Nicole